One of the many great aspects of my job is how people in my life send me links to fascinating information on all things sexual. One of my daughters recently connected me to a webcast discussing 10 things you may not know about orgasms. Shortly after that, a coworker sent a link on the related topic of breast orgasms. WOW! How could I resist writing about them both?
1. Thanks to the use of ultrasound, we can now view what appears to be a fetus masturbating. I know males are often identified by their prominent erections, but who knew they put them to use so long before puberty? Since all the nerve endings needed for sexual pleasure are there at birth, it’s not surprising babies find pleasure in touching their genitals, but even before birth? Yikes!
2. Some people don’t need genital stimulation to reach orgasm. There have been reports of people stimulated to orgasm through stroking of the eyebrows, teeth brushing, music, breast stimulation or pretty much anyplace on the body. Someone claims to be able to THINK herself to orgasm!
3. At least in theory, you can have one when dead. I’m not talking pretending you’re asleep, but actually dead. There is a sacral nerve that when stimulated post-mortem causes a physical reaction called the Lazarus reflex. Apparently, with proper manipulation an orgasm can occur, as well.
4. Orgasm can cause bad breath.
5. Orgasm can cure hiccups.
6. Before Masters and Johnson proved differently in 1950, some medical professionals prescribed orgasm to increase fertility. It was believed the orgasm “sucked up” the sperm into the uterus.
7. Some pig farmers still believe that proper stimulation will increase litter rates by 6% when the sow is aroused before artificial insemination. Here is an actual video of a farmer demonstrating this during the webcast that is something you should watch before attempting this at home. Most educational.
8. Female animals may enjoy themselves more than you think. Most animals don’t show expressions of pain or pleasure on their faces. They are more likely to use body postures or ear placement to express their true feelings.
9. Studying human orgasms is not easy. Just creating an instrument to measure such sensations, let alone finding willing research subjects, is challenging.
10. But apparently, there are always some willing to show it all for science. In 1940 Alfred Kinsey had 300 male subjects ejaculate and marked with tape on the floor the length their semen traveled. The record is 8 feet.
Hope you increased your orgasmic knowledge. I certainly did!