School is back in session and our sex educators are back in the classrooms fielding questions that would make you blush. Or gasp. Maybe both. Here’s a post from Genevieve revisited because without fail, someone is going to ask about blue waffle.
I was looking at a stack of questions I’ve received from students in various classes and thought it would be fun to share a few of them with our friends on Feronia. Here are a few of the questions with brief answers. The amount of detail we give depends on the class, age of students, and any follow-up questions.
1. How do you get blue waffle? Blue waffle is actually a made-up STD that does not exist. If you Google it you will find a picture of what looks like very bruised and disfigured female genitals.
2. Is it true that the penis feeds the baby when a girl is pregnant? The vagina and uterus (where the baby is) are separated by the cervix, which blocks semen from getting to the baby. Babies get their nutrition through the umbilical cord and placenta.
3. Is it true that you can test for STDs by putting ear wax on your finger and then inserting the finger into a girl’s vagina? I heard that if she squirms or it burns then she has an STD. The only way to test for STDs is by visiting your medical provider or going to the pharmacy and getting an at-home STD kit.
4. Is it true that if you drink Mountain Dew or Red Bull it will kill your sperm so you don’t get a girl pregnant? This is a myth that has been circulating since I was in high school. These beverages will not prevent pregnancy.
5. Is it true that if the male does all the work or is on top that you’ll have a boy? Is it the same if the female does all the work? The male’s sperm determines the sex of the baby, not the position of the male or female during sex.
6. Is it true that if a male “produces” in a female while she is pregnant then the baby will look more like the father? The way the baby will look is determined by DNA when the sperm joins with the egg.
7. If you are already pregnant and you’re still having sex, can another baby form? You cannot release another egg when you are already pregnant, but now and again there will be two fetuses and an early ultrasound will only detect one.
8. What is the largest penis on record? I would normally answer this by saying that the average erect penis is 5-7 inches long and I’d talk about the importance of not focusing on penis size as a way to define masculinity. For Feronia: According to the Huffington Post, the largest penis on record is held by John Falcon, who has a 9-inch penis when he is flaccid and a 13.5 inch penis when he is erect. His penis size was publicized due to being frisked at an airport in California.
9. If you put your mouth on a penis can the sperm come out? If it does can it travel down and get you pregnant? Yes, sperm can come out but it is impossible for it to travel from the mouth to the uterus. You can, however, become infected with an STD from unprotected oral sex.
10. Could a male animal get a female human pregnant? This is impossible, but it is understandable that students would ask this question because they hear a lot about how closely matched our DNA is to primates. There’s also some crazy stuff on YouTube.