Recent research has led me to newfound knowledge of a whole variety of “philias” that I wasn’t aware of. When one thinks of the suffix “philia”, most people think of pedophilia and immediately have a negative reaction. On the more positive side are many sensory triggers that stimulate people through associations that are positive, safe and entertaining. (For a comprehensive book on the topic, check out this one on Amazon.)
Many of us already use some of these techniques without even realizing we do. These may give you a few ideas! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Acousticophilia is being aroused by sounds such as music, love songs, poem, sexual commands, a partner speaking with a foreign accent or in a foreign language, as well as the sounds people naturally make during sex. Natural sounds like the sound of waves, a crackling fire, falling rain, can also be stimulating to many.
- Agoraphilia refers to people stimulated from being in a public place. Part of the excitement comes from the thought of being caught. How many times have we seen movies where people engage in frantic sex or at least foreplay while in an elevator or on a beach, after all?
- Doraphilia is arousal from touching hair, skin, fur, fabric or leather. The attraction is generally for leather or fur. One explanation for doraphilia is that some people feel secure and nurtured by touching or being wrapped in something soft and powerful when wearing leather.
- Homillophilia is the feeling of sexual arousal someone gets while listening to or giving a sermon or speech. During the 1950s and 1960s, the back rows of revival tents were used to snag partners who were sexually charged from the emotion expressed during the sermons. Trial attorneys have been known to stimulate sexual responses in themselves as well as their juries when presenting particularly rousing arguments.
- Pygophilia refers to those who become aroused by fondling, touching, kissing, or licking a partner’s buttocks. Some are also excited by rubbing their own buttocks against a partner.
- Sitophilia is the use of food for sexual purposes. Remember the movies “American Pie” and “Chocolat”? For more sensual food ideas visit The Sensual Foodie.